October 29, 2010

Sandygrafik interviewed by Zazzle!

I'm so honored to have been interviewed by Jes, Zazzle Community Producer a few weeks ago!
The interview was posted yesterday and here is a part of it.
You can see it in full here. Thanks so much Jes!!

♥ ♥ ♥

Zazzle Featured Seller Interview with sandygrafik
By Jes, Zazzle Community Producer

Sandra, from the Zazzle Store sandygrafik, answered some questions about her artistic style and her time at Zazzle. Check out the interview below and don’t forget to check out her store sandygrafik!

Zazzle: Tell us a little bit about yourself, and your artistic style.

Sandra: I’m a Peruvian born freelance graphic designer, self-taught illustrator and mom of two adorable kids, Zoey (3) and Fabricio (9), currently living in Denver, CO. I’m passionate especially on vector illustration using different textures and patterns that makes my illos richer and brighter. I really enjoy recreating characters from classic fairytales and giving birth to new magical creatures, sometimes bright and colorful, sometimes dark and gloomy, depending on my mood.


Zazzle: A lot of your work seems to be more whimsical, are there other styles of art you enjoy as well?

Sandra: Oh sure! I love whimsical art but I also enjoy photography and conceptual art. As a graphic designer I really love vector illustration… it’s like creating intricate puzzles, giving each form different textures and patterns… I have so much fun! And little by little, I can see how the image grows and turns in a complete character. However I enjoy experimenting with traditional media such as inks and watercolors. Sometimes I mix all these medias and create my designs which I call digi-collage.

Zazzle: What’s your inspiration for your designs?

Sandra: I always have been a daytime dreamer, getting lost in classic fairytale books and fantasy movies like The Never Ending Story, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth… then I discovered Tim Burton and fell in love with his eerie-but-adorable characters… he is a big inspiration on my work!

Zazzle: What’s been your favorite design you’ve created, and why?

Sandra: I’ll choose especially Queen of Hearts, Sakura Girl and Aquamarine Mermaid. Each girl has a little story to share! Queen of Hearts was such a challenge for me because I’ve always wanted to make caricatures or cartoons, and I guess this was my first good attempt!

Sakura Girl was another challenge for me! I remember this absolutely adorable Japanese figurine that my grandfather received as a gift before I was born… it was in my living room for years until it got lost when I was little. No pictures of my beloved figurine were left, just a blurry image in my mind, until Sakura Girl was born!

I guess Aquamarine was a recreation of my big-eyed dolls with curly hair drawings from my childhood, mixed with these fantastic imaginary sea creatures from fairytales. Turquoise and navy blue are my favorite colors, so I created this pattern for her tail which I love!


Zazzle: When you are not creating art, what are you other hobbies?

Sandra: I’m creating jewelry, handmade goodies and accesories featuring my girls and other designs which are currently on sale in my Etsy and ArtFire shops... (read more)

1 comment:

tera said...

I meant to leave a comment on here a couple days ago and got caught up w/something at work (darn work, don't they know I have blogging to do??) but I like the interview a lot, how fun! And I really really like your little lion-kitty.